Unit Statement: In this unit the student will read four different essays in Chinese. This will be growing their vocabulary items. The student will examine plot elements and build fluency skills. They will practice using context clues in a sentence or passage to help them figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words.
Essential Outcomes: (assessed for mastery)
- TSW read and write key words related to each essay. (Interpretive reading and presentational writing)
- TSW comprehends the meaning of what they read in Chinese. (Interpretive reading)
3. TSW discussion questions for oral practice with partner. (Communicative)
4. TSW identify and interpret parts of a story: character, setting and plot.(Presentational speaking and writing)
6. TSW read with expression to demonstrate fluency skills by means of matching character’s voice, tone, feelings and emotions. (Interpretive listening/reading)
7. TSW self-select and read level- appropriate literature independently for at least 60minuts per week.(Interpretive reading)
Introduced /Practiced Outcomes:
1. TSW .write a variety of personal responses about essay they read. Such as interesting characters, events or something that they enjoyed. (Presentational writing)
2. TSW compare and contrast character, setting and plot of at least two essays read. (Interpretive reading)
3. TSW actively listen and participate in classroom discussions related to texts read. (Interpretive listening & Speaking)
4. TSW Share, recommend, and criticize books they have read in Chinese.( Interpretive listening)
Required Texts and Materials:
- HUANYING, an invitation to Chinese, volume 2: textbook, workbook part 2/2, and teacher’s book part 2/2.
- Readings in Chinese culture series, volume 2, choice four essays from the contents.
- Online resources related
- Flash cards and pictures
- Any Chinese books with story.
Suggested Assessment Tools and Strategies:
- Any appropriate teacher-created or teacher-selected materials.
- Any appropriate online resources and websites.(http://my.cheng-tsui.com/huanying)
- The students can write their own opine after they read stories.
- The students will share their books each other.