Unit Statement: The student will produce a publication that describe a PERSON. The writing focus on word choice. They will use various adjective, punctuations, and dialogue within the publication. Topic sentences and concluding sentences will be used.
Essential Outcomes: (assessed for mastery)
- TSW read and write key words related to people. (Interpretive reading and presentational writing)
- TSW read some books about describe a person, discuss what a step to describe a person. (Communicative)
3. TSW create a descriptive publication about an individual which includes a topic sentence and concluding sentence. (Interpretive reading)
4. TSW use pre-write/brainstorm activities to generate words in descriptive writing.(Presentational writing)
5. TSW identify and use demonstrative adjectives and predicate adjectives.
6. TSW Write daily in class at some point during any subject for 20 minutes in journal. (Presentational writing)
7. TSW self-select and read level- appropriate literature independently for at least 60minuts per week.(Interpretive reading)
Introduced /Practiced Outcomes:
1. TSW Use editing skills and universal editing marks as it relates to punctuation, spelling, and grammar. (Presentational writing)
2. TSW practice and develop cursive handwriting skills. (Presentational writing)
3. TSW identify significant person in student’s family, draw a picture of the person, and write a descriptive paragraph.( Presentational writing & Culture)
Required Texts and Materials:
- HUANYING, an invitation to Chinese, volume 2: textbook, workbook part 2/2, and teacher’s book part2/2.
- Chinese Readers level two: Who am I? Blue level: What is this?
- Chinese Readers Orange level: Dragon’s body, everyone’s different, what do you look like?
- Chinese readers Level five: Twin Brothers
- Chinese readers Green level: Best friends
- Easy Step to Chinese textbook 3/workbook 3: see unit 1 lesson 2 Appearance, textbook4/workbook4: see unit 1 lesson 2 Appearance
- Online resources related
- Flash cards and pictures
- Teacher provides one large picture of someone let all the student write about it.
Suggested Assessment Tools and Strategies:
- Any appropriate teacher-created or teacher-selected materials.
- Any appropriate online resources and websites.(http://my.cheng-tsui.com/huanying)
- Students use thesaurus and replace adjectives from student writing that are identified by the teacher.